Friday, February 8, 2013

Day of Seizures

It's taken me awhile to write this post because it's taken awhile to process the events and the triggers of Adam's seizures. After I wrote the last blog post (within 24 hours), Adam had three seizures in one day. 

This time, there was no trigger. He didn't stay up late, drink too much, skip pills... but in 24 hours he had three seizures. Two were fifteen minutes or longer ( which I admit, had me both terrified and bawling... this was more than anything we have ever experienced before.) 

The seizures made me feel desperate. Sad for Adam, because no matter what we did, how we breathed, how we tried to lower his body temperature, it didn't work. It just kept going, and going. One of them happened when the UPS man banged on the door to drop off a package. It was a notice knock.. "hey your package is here!" kinda thing. It startled Adam so much that he twitched and his leg was caught on a decorative piece of art that my Mom got us. It tore Adam's leg about seven inches, and even though we doctored it and Neosporin-ed the hell out of it, he has a bright red new scar to add to his collection. 

Adam is a junior in college and this semester he's taking 15 hours. We have registered with the Office of Accessibility Services, so Adam gets a notetaker in each class to help him concentrate. He still takes notes to help himself out, but sometimes it overloads him, and this week, he started twitching in class. I wish I could go to class with him! I'd be a protective mama bear and just walk him through the breathing exercises. I know he panics and forgets everything we've gone over... 

Somedays, the seizures get to me. I put on a brave face for Adam because sometimes, he tells me that he feels like a burden. He's NOT a burden in any way shape or form! I love him unconditionally.. which is odd to say because I truly didn't know if I would ever love ANYONE this way, and I love him  so deeply that I would take away every ounce of pain that he has ever felt. This is OUR battle, and it always will be- a journey that he doesn't have to go alone. I adore him. And I believe we're going to get through this together. 

Seizures in 2013: 5 -- Keeping yearly track for our neurology appt in October! 

No comments:

Post a Comment